it’s 2014 and having a valid and logical argument with your parents is still “talking back”
If you defend a guy for his nudes getting leaked (“aw it’s okay we still love you1!1!1!!!”) but then shame a girl for her nudes getting leaked (“what a slut she shouldn’t have taken them in the first place!!1!1!!!”) I hope you step on many lego pieces at once.
- was used as a pawn in the triwizard tournament
- watched as the corpse of her boyfriend was brought back from another trial of said tournament
- had absolutely no one to talk to about it and got no clear answers on what actually happened
- joined an underground students association to…
people are so horrible about cho chang
yeah she cried a lot and was a little bit annoying
but she was in no way ‘whiny’ i mean her boyfriend was murdered and then harry potter started fucking her around and he wouldn’t even talk to her about cedric’s death even though he was the only person she…
friendly reminder that cho chang was one of the few members of dumbledore’s army who could cast a corporeal patronus, a very advanced and difficult spell that requires strong happy memories, and she was deep in grief at the time ✿◕‿◕✿
CHARACTERS WE’RE SUPPOSED TO HATE BUT SHOULD ACTUALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH: CHO CHANG
This is going to be the first of many posts dealing with characters who are written to be hated but actually deserve sympathy from the readers. Inspired by the 8 Fictional Girls You Were Supposed To Like But Who Actually Suck article.
First off is Cho Chang, who is arguably one of the most hated characters in the entire Harry Potter franchise, particularly in the books. And what for?
Well, in the film she’s kind of bland, her relationship with Harry seems pretty shallow and forced, and she doesn’t have a really huge part other than being forced into revealing the location of Dumbledore’s Army. At first her peers hate her for it, Harry apparently breaks up with her for it, but even when it’s revealed that she was forced into telling Umbridge after taking Veritaserum (a powerful truth serum that is used in interrogations), nobody makes an effort to apologize to her for ostracizing her. Harry doesn’t go out of his way to apologize, tell her that he’s sorry, or do anything in regards to her mend her broken heart and hurt feelings. It honestly makes you wonder why they even revealed that she was given Veritaserum to begin with. So Harry wouldn’t hate her when we see her again in Deathly Hallows Part 2? If anything, I think Cho would have every reason in the world to not forgive Harry for knowing that she didn’t tell on purpose and STILL not doing anything (on screen at least) to mend their friendship.
In the book however, this character’s only crime is that she literally has a lot of emotions and expresses them in a way that annoys the main protagonist.
Now let’s think about this for a minute. What happened to this girl to make her “cry over boys more than she speaks,” as Rachel Rostad put it in her video?
- She was about fifteen or sixteen years old when her boyfriend was murdered.
- If we are going by the film version, she is literally there, front row, dead center, WHEN HARRY ARRIVES WITH HER BOYFRIEND’S DEAD FUCKING BODY.
- Not only was he murdered, he was murdered by a wizard so evil and so feared that people can’t even speak his name out loud. Which means there’s going to be a whole lot of shit that’s probably going to go down very soon that may result in more death and more pain.
- SHE DIDN’T GET OVER HER BOYFRIEND’S MURDER OVER THE SPAN OF ONE SUMMER.
- In addition to not getting over the murder of someone who was probably her first love, she gets ridiculed and teased for it by people like Pansy Parkinson.
- She tries to connect with the only person who might understand just what sort of pain she went through. She wants to talk to him about it. She wants to heal and thinks that maybe he could help her do it, and what happens? He starts talking about another girl. On a date with her.
- She has the audacity to be angry about this, even jealous, and somehow this is annoying and stupid and unreasonable even though she is a young girl whose boyfriend was murdered, who clearly isn’t getting the care and support that she needs from her friends or from a the guy who apparently has a crush on her, and her emotions overwhelm her.
- AND WHAT’S MORE, HE MOCKS HER FOR CRYING.
I believe i also heard somewhere that Cho Chang’s character was specifically created in contrast to Ginny’s to show that Ginny is the better match for Harry because of how much stronger and tougher she is and how she has a better grip on her emotions. Which quite frankly, that infuriates me to no end. Maybe Cho is annoying because of her jealous outbursts, but that does not make her feelings invalid or unimportant because she chooses to cry about everything that had happened, wants to express herself and talk about those feelings to someone she thought she could trust, and then just gets shot down for them. And what’s worse is that the fandom genuinely hates her for being distraught and traumatized over the very recent death of her boyfriend.
All things considered, Harry and Cho could’ve easily been a very deep, complex couple. They could’ve helped each other heal and learned how to love, or at the very least (in the film version) ended on better terms. I’m actually really sad that it didn’t go that way. Even so, I don’t think there is any reason in the world for this character to be as hated as she was.
I’m attracted to intelligence. Not the book smart type of intelligence. I could care less whether you’ve gone to college or how much money you make because of it. I like intelligent conversations that make me think even hours after it’s ended. I soak up words from radical minds.
If you own a dog, please share.
Even if you don’t own a dog, please share
I’LL ESCAPE NOW FROM THAT WORLD
FROM THE WORLD OF JEAN VALJEAN
THERE IS NO WHERE I CAN TURN
THERE IS NO WAY TO GO OOOOOONNN
Always reblog Javelmo.